A home that is visually appealing and in good condition will attract potential buyers and yield a quicker and higher sell price.
Use this checklist to view the home through an outsider�s eyes:
- are the lawn and shrubs well maintained
- are there cracks in the foundation or walkways
- does the driveway need resurfacing
- is the garage door closed
- are the gutters, chimney and walls in good condition
- do the window casings, shutters, siding or doors need painting
- are garbage and debris stored out of sight
- are lawn mowers and hoses properly store
- hotubs and mechanical items should work
- tighten hinges and door knobs
- oil squeaks and leaks should be addressed
Strong curb appeal will lure home buyers inside, but the inside will sell your home. It may not seem fair, but a home buyer looks at the inside of the home and judges how well you have kept up your home.
Here is a checklist of easy improvements you should make to your home�s interior before selling a home:
- clean windows (inside and out), floors and bathroom tiles
- make sure you have clean heating and air conditioning filters
- shampoo and clean all carpets
- clean tubs and showers, repair dripping faucets and oil squeaky doors
- keep your home neat, clean and picked up at all times
- if a room needs a fresh coat of paint, use a neutral off-white
- remove unnecessary clutter from the garbage, closets, etc and straighten stored items
- if your home is crowded with too much furniture, consider putting some things into storage
- think about how your home smells
Finally, set a mood for the buyer to help you to sell your home more quickly and get maximum sells price.
Here are some last minute details you should do every time you show your home to a home buyer:
- Make your house homey with live flowers and fresh fruit
- set out fresh guest towels and soap in the bathroom
- place scented potpourri around the house
- pop a batch of frozen cinnamon rolls into the oven for a welcoming aroma
- open blinds and curtains and allow natural light and turn on lights
Remember, cosmetic changes do not have to be expensive. Attention to the basic - anything that says �this home has been carefully maintained� - that will help you get the price you want!
** In order to ensure you get the most return for your investment - I am happy to walk through your home with you before you start renovating or fixing up to sell.